CHESTERFIELD INLET, NU
Located on the west coast of Hudson Bay in the Kivalliq Region of Nunavut, Chesterfield Inlet has been a permanent settlement since 1910, making it one of the oldest Inuit communities in Nunavut. The site of an ancient Thule settlement lies nearby where tent rings and animal traps are still visible.
The community was named in approximately 1749, after Philip Dormer Stanhope, the 4th Earl of Chesterfield. The traditional Inuktitut name for Chesterfield Inlet is Igluligaarjuk, which means “place with few houses”.
Chesterfield Inlet was the Hudson Bay Company’s main supply centre for the area until the 1950s, and was also the site of the largest RCMP barracks and the largest Roman Catholic mission in the eastern Arctic.
Artists from Chesterfield Inlet include talented carver, Anita Issaluk and textile artists, Agatha Alkomaksuitiksa and Eva Tanuyak.
Showing 1–9 of 11 results